Smokey Quartz (Smoky Quartz) is silicon dioxide and has a Trigonal crystal system. Its colour ranges from grey to warm brown, light and clear to an almost “solid” looking black/brown. Its characteristic smokiness comes from exposure to very low levels of natural radiation. The smokiness is also caused by exposure to radioactive elements over a very long period of time. It is also created by hydrothermal activity. This takes place in the spaces of gas bubbles formed in ancient volcanic rock.
Smokey Quartz Meaning – History
Smokey Quartz is a protective stone. In Alpine countries, crucifixes are still being made from it. Soldiers have long worn it as a protective amulet, in the belief they would return unharmed from war. In Scotland this crystal is also known as Cairngorm. There is a rather large Smokey Quartz point in their National sceptre.
Smokey Quartz Meaning – Metaphysical Benefits.
It is also known as ‘The Stone of Co-Operation’. Smoky Quartz has a gentle grounding and protective energy. It also cleanses and clears negative energy. As a grounding stone, it transmutes negative energy. Also facilitating your ability to get things done. It will help you to be present, right here, in the moment. It enhances organizational skills and is good to have around in the workplace, office or home.
Smokey Quartz instils balance and harmony; it enhances quiet reflection, especially during meditation. It has a relaxing effect and can help to bring you peace of mind. In the long term, it will help make you more resistant to stress factors around you. Smokey Quartz leads you to leave behind those things that no longer serve you.
This crystal has the ability to transform negative energy.
This crystal has the ability to transform negative energy. It is particularly effective in dealing with anger and resentment as well. And it will also help you to set aside wilful and headstrong behaviour. It clears up communication difficulties too. It helps to dissolve mental and emotional blockages. Especially those that can get in the way of perception or learning.
Smokey Quartz is also a practical choice for protection from pollution. As well as from radiation and electromagnetic smog. It creates a barrier against and neutralizes negative energy. After neutralizing negative vibrations, it brings positive energy in to fill the area. This crystal alleviates nightmares and brings dreams to reality.
Smokey Quartz is nature’s stone of endurance. If you need an extra boost to keep going, carry a Smokey Quartz with you.
This crystal will help you to accept your physical nature and to care for your body. Also enhancing your sexual nature, and increasing virility. It does this while cleansing your systems so that passion may flow in a natural way.
Smokey Quartz Meaning – Healing.
Because it is naturally irradiated it is excellent for the treatment of radiation-related illness. Also, for the effects of chemotherapy. It is important to use only natural crystals for this purpose. (Some crystals are artificially irradiated. These are usually identified by being extremely dark and non-transparent).
Smokey Quartz is useful for providing pain relief and for subduing headaches. Benefits muscle, nerve tissue, the heart and the reproductive system. It is particularly effective for ailments of the abdomen hips and legs. It releases cramps, strengthens the back and fortifies nerves.
Tips for using Smokey Quartz.
- Hold Smokey Quartz to relieve stress and tension.
- Use its protective energies to block geopathic stress. Also to absorb electromagnetic smog given off by electronics.
- Keep Smokey Quartz at your entry doors to help guard the home and possessions against theft, damage and accidents.
- Carry one in a purse, a bag in the glove box, or near valuables, for protection, especially if left unattended for long periods of time.
- Keep a Smokey Quartz in your car as protection against road rage and other harm while driving. It also shields against unexpected mechanical breakdowns.
- Place in your home to bring positive energy and to assist elimination and detoxification on all levels.
- Place Smokey Quartz in the home or work environment to filter out actions and emotions that drain your strength and enthusiasm.
- Wear or carry Smokey Quartz for assistance with reaching personal and business goals. Plus manifesting dreams and ideas into reality.
- Set Smokey Quartz in a semi-circle on your desk, to create a calm, safe area in which to work.
Follow us on Facebook
First published in MyCrystalaura Newsletter April 2010. Revised September 2020.
© Ron and Sue Windred.
Disclaimer: The outlined metaphysical and healing properties in this website are for inspiration and reference. We gather this information and alleged properties from writings, books, folklore and various other sources. They are also dependent upon the attitude and beliefs of the individual. Furthermore they do not replace diagnosis or treatment by a qualified therapist or physician.