We frequently get questions about cleansing crystals. One of our customers enquired about cleansing her just purchased Selenite crystals. We thought our answer is an appropriate reminder on how to go about Cleansing Crystals. This is good advice for cleaning any of your softer crystals. But of course, you may wash your harder ones, and even leave them for a while in the water. All crystals can be energetically cleansed in the manner which follows.
‘I received your wonderful parcel yesterday. Thank you very much. Just wondering if you could give me any advice on how to cleanse the Selenite crystals?’
Your Selenite crystals are new and therefore physically clean, so at this stage, this is not a problem. When they get physically dirty they may well need some attention. Often just wiping them with a duster cloth is sufficient to remove dust and grime. If this doesn’t do the job, wipe them over with a damp cloth and dry them off straight away. Do not soak them as soaking in water will cause them to deteriorate. This is not normally recommended; However, on occasion, we have given them a quick dunk under running water and then rubbed them clean and dry with a soft cloth.
You may go about energetically cleansing your crystals in a number of ways.
- Sit them on an Amethyst cluster. We usually find overnight is sufficient, but you can leave them for as long as you like.
- Smudging with white sage, using either a smudge stick or loose-leaf, as passing them through white sage smoke will cleanse them. Alternatively, you could use a white sage incense stick or cone.
- White light is an easy and effective method to remove negative energy quickly. Close your eyes and in an attitude similar to prayer imagine a field of white light developing before you. When it is quite solid, direct it to the crystals and ask your understanding of God or universal energy to use this white light to transmute any negative energy into positive energy.
- You might like to use the sound of a crystal singing bowl to cleanse your crystals. We find a recording is just as effective as using a real bowl. Simply place your Selenite near the source and then allow this beautiful and powerful sound to resonate throughout the room. The vibrations of the pure crystalline sound will displace any negative energy.
- You can also use rice cleansing. You can use any type of rice and it’s quite easy to do. Simply place your crystals on top of the rice and leave them overnight. You may cover the stones or place them within the rice. As this rice will absorb negative energy, throw it out after using it.
We hope you find this information helpful.
Here are three additional cleansing methods that make use of salt.
1) Salt Water
Suitable crystals may also be left to soak in saltwater or preferably in seawater. When we had easier access to the ocean we used to collect seawater from an outgoing wave on an incoming tide—though I am sure any ocean water would have been appropriate. Fill a glass bowl (not metal) about half to two-thirds full and submerge your crystals in the saltwater for up to 24 hours. Many leave them overnight; however, you can leave them for up to a week if they need more thorough cleansing.
2) Dry Salt
Half fill a glass bowl with sea salt or Himalayan rock salt (or cooking salt) and bury your crystals directly into the salt. Alternatively, sit them on the surface. They may be left in the salt for several hours, overnight, or for days.
3) Non-Contact Salt
This is a safe method to use in order to avoid damage to your crystals from direct contact with salt. It is handy if you are cleansing crystals set in jewellery and/or surrounded by metal.
Half to two-thirds fill a bowl with dry salt. Then half bury a smaller glass container into the salt and place your crystals directly into this. This method will take longer than direct contact methods, but the salt will still be able to draw out unwanted energies.
You may also cover or seal the crystals with pure water by pouring just enough into the smaller glass container to cover them. This protects them from salty air exposure and prevents any corrosion or adverse effects to metals and other fittings. Additionally, keep in mind that some crystals should not be left to soak in water.
NB. These methods should be avoided where they can have an adverse effect and even change the appearance and properties of certain crystals. Included among these are crystals that are porous, have water content, or contain metal, for example, Opal, Pyrite, Lapis Lazuli, and Hematite.
Thoroughly rinse your crystals in cool running water when finished to remove any remaining salt. Dispose of this salt or saltwater after use, as it will have absorbed negative and unwanted energies.
Sand for Cleansing Your Crystals
One more method you might consider is the use of sand. This is a safe alternative to burying your crystals—Safe because you are less likely to forget the location. Fill a bucket with clean beach or river sand and bury your crystals within and leave them there for about a week. Preferably use dry sand, however wet may be used, but be aware for stones affected by immersion in water. If you can, return the sand to its source location and nature will readily dissolve the removed negative energies.
Follow us on Facebook
© Ron and Sue Windred.
Disclaimer: The outlined metaphysical and healing properties in this website are for inspiration and reference. We gather this information and alleged properties from writings, books, folklore and various other sources. They are also dependent upon the attitude and beliefs of the individual. Furthermore they do not replace diagnosis or treatment by a qualified therapist or physician.